SPOILERS BELOW

In order to explain why something is deserving or not deserving of being on this list we will be forced to spoil some parts of the plot, but we will do our best to not spoil anything major without giving warning in the post.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

71 Saving Private Ryan

Brief Synopsis (from Netflix)
As U.S. troops storm the beaches of Normandy, three brothers lie dead on the battlefield, with a fourth trapped behind enemy lines. Ranger captain Tom Hanks and seven men are tasked with penetrating German-held territory and bringing the boy home. Steven Spielberg and cinematographer Janusz Kaminski paint a harrowing picture of the price of war and heroism -- one that netted them Oscars for Best Director and Best Cinematography, respectively.

Jason


Well, what I mean by that, sir, is... if you was to put me and this here sniper rifle anywhere up to and including one mile of Adolf Hitler with a clear line of sight, sir... pack your bags, fellas, war's over. Amen.

I don't know if I stated it on this blog but I'm not really a fan of war movies (I think I might have in Platoon). I'm not really sure why though. It could be because I have trouble watching tragedies made into entertainment, or maybe it's the fact that there's so much going on with bullets flying and random body parts being blown off its sometimes hard to focus on the story. I honestly think it's latter, but I like to think the former also plays a part.

That all being said I really enjoyed this movie. It didn't glorify war, or make it cool to kill the enemy or make it seem like anything but hell. When you watch the first 20 minutes you really get a feeling for how terrible D-day really was.

I think Spielberg was able to do something very few war movies directors are able to do. Instead of making the movie about the war, he used it as setting. So I was really concerned with seeing battles, or people die. I was more concerned with where Ryan was and whether or not they could save him.

Final Thoughts- Like I said, I enjoyed this movie. Though, I think this movie is on the cusp of being on my list. So if it does make it, its not above 90.

No comments:

Post a Comment