SPOILERS BELOW

In order to explain why something is deserving or not deserving of being on this list we will be forced to spoil some parts of the plot, but we will do our best to not spoil anything major without giving warning in the post.

Friday, April 30, 2010

84 Easy Rider

Brief Synopsis (from Netflix)

With cash from a cocaine sale, freewheelers Billy and Wyatt hop on their motorcycles and ride across America toward New Orleans. Along the way, they add boozy lawyer George to their trouble-finding, society-questioning entourage. Dennis Hopper writes, directs and stars in this landmark 1960s counterculture film; Peter Fonda co-writes and co-stars. Jack Nicholson earned a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for his role as George.


Jason

No, man, like hey, man. Wow. I was watching this object man, li-like the satellite that we saw the other night, right? And, like, it was going right across the sky, man, and then... I mean it just suddenly, uh, it just changed direction and went whizzin right off, man. It flashed...



This movie is not at all what I expected. Which is weird because I had no clue what to expect, but I guess I just thought the way that this movie played out was kinda the last way that I expected it to (that sentence is so convoluted because I don't want to spoil anything). The first thing that I noticed about this movie was the editing. At first I thought it was just poorly done because it would keep cutting a scene off and then starting a new scene the next day. At first this bothred me, but then someone else pointed out how cool that effect was because it only happened when they were high. Once given that new point of view I realized that the effect was very well done and almost gave the effect of being drunk or high and forgeting parts of the evening.

About an hour into the movie I realized the movie has no plot. Now in most cases this would really bother me, but in this movie it didn't. I'm not really sure why though. Maybe it was the fact that the characters were interesting enough that I didn't care what they did, I just cared that they did something. It could also be that the lack of plot increased that feeling of being drunk or high, and it gave you that feeling of being with them along for the ride. Whatever it was this movie without a plot was certainly more interesting then a lot of movies I have seen with a plot.

I would not be doing this movie justice if I did not mention what I felt was the best part of it. Jack Nicholson was great, and I don't just mean the normal type of great that we tend to throw around a lot when writing these reviews. Everytime he was on screen not only was he excellent but everyone else was better also. I really can't say enough good about him. If nothing else you should watch this movie to see Jack in his "awesome" motorcyle helmet.

Final Thoughts- This movie is very good, but I don't know if it would go on my list. Its definately on the cusp though. I would say if it did go on my list it wouldn't be any higher then 90.


Bryan


"Billy: What the hell is wrong with freedom? Thats what it's all about!


George Hanson: Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

This is a very good movie. It is iconic, and is an interesting view of the culture of the sixties. It was set up like the Odyssey- they knew where their destination was, and their mode of transportation, but the movie is about the unexpected twists and turns that get them there. The cliches about voyages and destinations apply here- it is the story of a voyage. And quite a trip it was.

Since it was a road trip, many of the scenes do not have much to do with each other, and this allowed the film to include an odd array of human interactions. The family that they meet in the begining- who allows them to fix a spare tire and then serves them dinner- is the relationship with the least surprises, and so it makes sense that it went first. Looking back upon all that happened to them after that, the tranquility of that stop and the calm approach that the movie began with is a stark contrast.

Jack Nicholson is awesome. His facial expessions are amazing, and he steals every scene he is in. It's not that Dennis Hopper or Peter Fonda are not good too, but Nicholson is at a whole 'nother level. I wish I was watching that campfire scene with Nicholson again right now. "You ever talk to bullfrogs in the middle of the night?"

It is also gut wrenching and sad at times. Without giving away too much, the movie leaves a bad taste in one's mouth, because it isn't a fairy tale ending. And the ending followed an LSD scene that was absolutely something that makes me think of the sixties, but also made me feel a little queasy. It was well done, and intended to be that way, but it's not a "feel good" kind of conclusion.

At one point while watching, Alfredo noticed a scene that he realized was an influence on Salt Lake City Punk, and it made me ponder the two films' similar portrayal of the counterculture. By modern standards, guys on bikes are not particularly taboo, but that is because of a generational gap- my father grew up through these times, and so I see many of the imagery that was intended to be rebelous as almost paternal. The long hair and beard that so insulted patrons at the Louisiana diner hardly seem that ridiculous to me; plenty of old timers look like that. In many ways, the counterculture today is rebelling against that previous rebellion, and has taken taboos much furthur. The film did a very good job of showing how their approach to life really was different and strange to some, and even threatening.

Final Thought- I clearly liked this movie. It is different from most of the movies I'm drawn to, and I'd say that's a good thing. It had lofty goals, and for the most part, it delivered.
I'm not sure, though, whether it'll make my list. Again, I'm unsure what measurement to use. It is an important film, and one that I would suggest everyone see, but I'm am not going to buy it and watch it often. It is a contender, but I think it falls short of making the top 100.


Alfredo

Like a true nature's child
We were born, born to be wild
We can climb so high
I never want to die

-Steppenwolf

If ever there was a song that described this movie then this is it. Which would explain why it was in the soundtrack. Easy Rider was a good movie. The soundtrack, however, was the catalyst (for myself anyway) that bumped this movie from being good to great.

Let me start off by saying quickly that although he has a small role in this film Jack Nicholsen shines as he always does. Now that the obligatory praise to Mr. Nicholsen is over and done with I'll get to the meat.

I've seen a lot of movies about hippies, the Sixties and The Summer of Love. I think I like this one the most though. It does a fantastic job of showing you what life was really like on a commune, on the road and it a town where your counter-culture just is not wanted.

In the first half of the movie Billy and Captain America meet up with a good for nothing waste of space hippie and he takes them to his commune. There he explains to them that most of the people living there are little more than just city kids. They don't really know how to farm or how to survive out in the wild. They're starving. That scene alone peaked my interest with this movie. Almost every movie I've ever seen about the counter culture during the Sixties seems to romanticize it. As if it were all just drugs, free love and no hardships. This movie did a great job of showing the harsher side of the life.

Final Thoughts- When this movie first started I was slightly bummed, I didn't really know what it was about and thought it was ust going to be another hippie movie. I was wrong, and I'm glad about it. Fonda, Hopper and Nicholsen all do stand up jobs and the sound track does a a fantastic job of immersing the viewer deeper and deeper into the film. This movie not only deserves to be on this list but is certainly goign on mine as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment