SPOILERS BELOW

In order to explain why something is deserving or not deserving of being on this list we will be forced to spoil some parts of the plot, but we will do our best to not spoil anything major without giving warning in the post.

Monday, April 26, 2010

85 Night at the Opera

Brief Synopsis (from Netflix)

The Marx Brothers -- Groucho, Harpo and Chico -- wreak havoc in the opera house in one of their biggest hits. Penned by Morrie Ryskind and George S. Kaufman, the film contains perhaps the greatest comic bit the Marxes ever pulled off: the crowded stateroom scene. Kitty Carlisle and Allan Jones are charming as the singing romantic leads whom the Marxes help transform into big-time opera stars.


Jason

I have here an accident policy that will absolutely protect you no matter what happens. If you lose a leg, we'll help you look for it.

I love the Marx Brothers. Some of the stuff they did was hilarious. However, this movie is not. I mean don't get me wrong this movie had some really funny parts, but as whole I think its much worse then many of the Marx Brother's other movies.

I think this movie did a really good job of showing the potential of the Marx Brothers, but if I was trying to show someone how funny they were I would not show them this whole movie. I would probably only show them two scenes. The first being the one when they first get on the boat and fit like 14 people into a room big enough for maybe 6 people. The second being the scene when they are moving furniture back and forth while hiding from the inspector or what ever he was.

As I write this and am thinking about these scenes and I am actually giggling. Very few comedians make me laugh from just thinking about there jokes. I think that is whats so great about the Marx Brothers. Not only are they funny the first time you see them, but they are funny the second and the third time as well.It is a rare talent to be that funny and am glad that these three were able to put that talent to such good use.

I have thought of one more scene worth showing someone who is interested in the Marx Brothers. The scene where Harpo plays the Harp. I know this scene is not funny at all, but if you know anything about the Marx Brothers you know that in every movie they find a way for Harpo to get a harp (hence his name), and honestly it is just a really odd yet really cool talent for a comedian.

Final Thoughts- This movie does not go on my list. Both Day at the Races and Duck Soup are much better and would be put them on my list much sooner then this movie.

Bryan

"[Disguised as one of the world's greatest aviators] So now I tell you how we fly to America. The first time we started we got-a half way there when we run out a gasoline, and we gotta go back. Then I take-a twice as much gasoline. This time we're just about to land, maybe three feet, when what do you think: we run out of gasoline again. And-a back-a we go again to get-a more gas. This time I take-a plenty gas. Well, we get-a half way over, when what do you think happens: we forgot-a the airplane. So, we gotta sit down and we talk it over. Then I get-a the great idea. We no take-a gasoline, we no take-a the airplane. We take steamship, and that friends, is how we fly across the ocean."

I'm not a fan. I've seen Marx Brothers comedies that I've enjoyed, but this one just seemed to go on for too long without much payoff. I'm not a huge fan of the goofy comedy, and so Marx brothers isn't my favorite approach to humor to start with, and I just don't feel that this was executed well.

It wasn't bad. I enjoyed it, but I was glad that I had company while watching it, because it's not something that could have held my attention alone. I'd suggest Marx brother comedies to people, but this isn't the one I'd mention.

Final Thought- On a list of the greatest performers of all time, the Marx brothers absolutely have a spot. This specific film, however, does not make the cut.

Angel

This was a very interesting film for me to watch. Firstly because it was such an old movie (1935). Secondly because it is my first Marx brothers movie. I was not really sure what to expect. I must say I feel too young to have been able to truly enjoy this film.

I say that because the movie did one thing really really well. That being the set up for a joke. As the viewer you always knew what was a regular conversation and what was supposed to be a joke. That always let me know where people were supposed to laugh. The downside was that it also was blatantly obvious when a joke or comment went over my head.

That one fact alone, I feel, is the biggest issue that I had with the film. All of the other parts I could understand or appreciate. We have, because of this list, also seen a few "song and dance" movies, so I have become used to them and their issues with continuity and plot holes. The rest of the film is passable for the most part and I really enjoyed the scene where the piano and harp were played. Yet, I was not able to look beyond the fact that I could not really enjoy the comedy of the film.

Final Thoughts- Most of the things that I had issues with did not amount to the parts that I did like. All in all I really did like the film, it just kinda hurt that I could not enjoy the one thing that everyone raves about.


Alfredo

I saw Mrs. Claypool first. Of course, her mother really saw her first but there's no point in bringing the Civil War into this.

I feel as though it'll be hard to judge this movie and the other movie they've done without mentioning their impact on pop culture.Although I've never seen a Marx Brothers film I still spent most of the movie thinking to myself this is comedic gold. Bugs has done that before, Robin Williams as the Genie did that. Which I think is in part why I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I could have. As far as I was concerned, it's all been done. It was all by only their greatest admirers and predecessors of course but that I suppose is part of my problem. I suppose I was looking for some new type of laugh of out loud funny, but that's not what I got. I got mastered classic comedy the same thing I've seen over and over again.

Final Thoughts - Had I seen this movie before I was "tainted" by Saturday Morning cartoons, Looney Tunes and scores of comedians I probably would have enjoyed the movie a lot more. It's strange, I suppose, to be more entertained by the student rather than the master. I appreciate who they are and what they did for comedic timing and I can see why at least one of their movies (two were) had to be put on this list, but that aside this film just didn't do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment