SPOILERS BELOW

In order to explain why something is deserving or not deserving of being on this list we will be forced to spoil some parts of the plot, but we will do our best to not spoil anything major without giving warning in the post.

Friday, February 12, 2010

96 Do the Right Thing

Brief Synopsis (from Netflix)
What begins as an uproarious comedy evolves into a provocative, disquieting drama as director Spike Lee chronicles trivial events that bring festering racial tensions to the surface on a sweltering day in a largely black Brooklyn neighborhood. After a number of minor misunderstandings -- and an effort to boycott the local pizza parlor -- a young man lies dead, the pizzeria lies in ashes, and the racial schism is wider than ever.

Jason

Dago, wop, guinea, garlic-breath, pizza-slingin', spaghetti-bendin', Vic Damone, Perry Como, Luciano Pavarotti, Sole Mio, nonsingin' motherfucker.

Awful...

If I wrote this review right after watching the movie last night that is all I would have written and I would be very happy with that review, but now that I have had a chance to think about I feel like I need to expand on that a little. From what I can tell this movie did only one thing really well, and I don't think any other movie has ever done it to me before. It made me feel like a racist.

I always had this idea that Spike Lee's movies were about making changes to the stereotypes that have plagued blacked people for years, but this movie did the opposite. It showed all the different types of stereotypes and why people hate them so much. Honestly this movie just made me feel really uncomfortable

Final Thought- This movie is bad, and honestly I cannot fathom why anyone would put it anywhere near the top 100 greatest movies. I know I don't like some of the movies that are on this list, but at least I can understand why they are there. This one just doesn't make sense. If you haven't seen it don't waste your time and if you have, I'm sorry.

Bryan

"I detest this place like a sickness"

I detest this movie like a sickness. This is the first movie I would have changed the channel on.

Final Thought- NO

PS: Did this review feel unfulfilling and lacking in any real quality substance? Good. Then you know how I felt trying to watch this.

Alfredo

My people, my people, what can I say, say what I can. I saw it but didn't believe it, I didn't believe what I saw. Are we gonna live together, together are we gonna live?

Unlike my friends here I'm not going bash this movie but that's mainly because I won't be talking about the hour and a half long build up to the climax that was nothing more than a flash fire.Unfortunately that doesn't leave me with much more to say. There were maybe a handful of interesting characters and there was also some really interesting cinematography that at times that would liven the movie up. I would have liked to have seen more of it, but sadly it was lacking.

Final thoughts- This wasn't a bad movie, the problem is it also wasn't a good movie, especially when compared to Spike Lee's other films. While I didn't really detest the movie I don't understand why it is that it made it onto this list and I certainly don't think it belongs here.

Angel

I would like to post something a little different than what was posted by my other comrades, but i won't

The movie (i am not apt to call this a film) just didn't send any other emotion other than annoyance, boredom, and indifference.

The characters were just stereotypical black people. They did not have a sense of depth or personality to them. Personally I found them to be plain and bland. The only emotion that I had about the characters was that they sucked.

To be terribly honest there was a time (the riot scene mostly) where I almost felt racist against the characters in the film. That was not a cool feeling to have, and if that was the point of the film than it accomplished it with flying colors.

Final Thoughts- While this isn't the worst film in the world (it is up there though). It does most definitely does not belong on this list. A film about the daily life of an African American or even a film of social commentary about the racism and audacity of African Americans would have been fine. At the very least though it should have been well done, at minimum, it should have created some sort of emotion. All this film did was leave a nasty taste in my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment