SPOILERS BELOW

In order to explain why something is deserving or not deserving of being on this list we will be forced to spoil some parts of the plot, but we will do our best to not spoil anything major without giving warning in the post.

Monday, May 10, 2010

81 Spartacus

Brief Synopsis (from Netflix)

Stanley Kubrick directed this epic saga based on ancient events, chronicling the birth of a vagabond slave-army led by an ex-gladiator named Spartacus (Kirk Douglas) that threatens the sovereignty of all-mighty Rome. This film has everything, including a wonderfully funny (and Oscar-winning) performance from Peter Ustinov as the cowardly owner of a gladiator school. Laurence Olivier, Charles Laughton, Jean Simmons and Tony Curtis co-star.

Jason

I'm Spartacus


I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. The reason this is so surprising is because I am not really a fan of epic movies. I've always found movies like Brave Heart and Gladiator to be kinda boring. Though I'm not really sure why, they just don't really appeal to me. It feels like things not appealing to me is becoming a trend.


This movie was long, 2 hours and 40 minutes long, and I was entertained by like 95% of it, which like I said is good for me for an epic movie. I do remember a few parts were I got kinda confused and lost some interest. As I remember it was mostly scenes with the roman senate. Those parts were very hard to follow. Probably because they all looked the same and had these long three part roman names I never new who was talking to who.


Kirk Douglas was epic (pun intended). His inspirational speeches inspired me. I felt his triumphs and his loses like they were my own. During the famous scene my quote is from I actually get why his forces did that for him, and I attribute all of that to Kirk Douglas' acting. Without him I think this movie would have lost a lot. Perhaps even its place on this list.


I'm actually really excited to be writing this review. Not because of the movie I'm reviewing or because of who was in it, but because of its relation to another movie on this list, Ben-Hur. Ben-Hur and Spartacus have many similarities and I think you can almost directly compare them. So if you look at story, settings and acting I believe that Spartacus beats out Ben-Hur in every category. Which is funny because when I first watched this movie I wasn't going to put it on my list, but I said I would put Ben-Hur.

For the longest time I couldn't figure out why that was. What did Ben-Hur do better then Spartacus. Then I realized what the answer is, nothing. It wasn't anything one had done better then the other. The problem was I never saw Spartacus. I think this project is not only about what I enjoy and what I don't. Its also about growing as true film expert, and being able to say whats great and what isn't because I've seen all that the American film world has to offer.


Final thoughts- This movie and Kirk Douglas' chin are both really interesting and I think deserve to have a place on my list. Its not my favorite movie ever but I say its a s olidcontender for the #80 spot.


Bryan

"I'm Spartacus"

I'm impressed by this movie. It was big, and epic, emotional, and exciting. I was going to criticize it's length, and suggest that there were parts where some fat could have been trimmed, but so much plot was moved along that cutting would be much harder to do than I first thought. The complexity of the story was simultaneously a deterrent and an asset. There was so much story and so many characters that different audiences had plenty of things to draw their interest, but keeping so many balls in the air can become unwieldy. That is a common challenge in movies that take on this kind of subject matter, and on the whole it performed quite admirably. I have to admit that there was a 10-15 minute period at the middle of the film where I did pass out, but I'll chock that up more to the weaknesses of the flesh than to failure of the plot, because I genuinely enjoyed just about everything I was awake for.

I really liked the scene following the big battle. It was reminiscent of Renaissance paintings, as if it was a fresco depicting hell on the wall of a cathedral crypt. But since it was actual extras posing in death scenes on film, it was more gripping and stunning and horrifying than a paintbrush depicts. That was the scene where I was reminded, like a slap in the face, that this was a Kubrick film. It was unlike anything I've seen from a movie of this genre. It was wonderful.

Spartacus absolutely competes with other huge epics, a genre of film I tend to be a fan of. It easily outshines Ben-Hur, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy, Gladiator, Alexander, Gettysburg, and the Ten Commandments. It stands shoulder to shoulder next to the epic films I love, like Braveheart and The Lord of the Rings. Is Star Wars "Epic?" It wouldn't beat Star Wars, but that's a pretty high bar.

Kirk Douglass' chin is ridiculous. I'd feel lacking in my review if I didn't even mention it, because the cinematographer seemed to revel in it. Of course there was going to be a lot of close ups on the star's face, but the way they added makeup and lit the shots seemed to draw attention to it. There was always a shimmery halo around it. It made Douglass memorable and able to stand out in a crowd, and always drew my eyes to him. (In fact it makes me wonder whether the "I'm Spartacus scene" would really work- wouldn't the Romans have heard that Spartacus dons a Grand Canyon on his face?) It was distinctive and awesome.


Final Thought - I would certainly suggest this movie to others. People who enjoy the other films I listed would find it worth their time to sit through this one. It is long, but worthwhile. It certainly puts up a good effort towards being on the list of top 100 films. It will not be particularly high on the list; in fact it is low enough that in the final reckoning I wouldn't be surprised if it gets bumped past 100. But it's a serious contender.


Alfredo

I'm Spartacus!


I think it's important to start this post by mentioning the most prominent thing in this movie before anything else. Kirk Douglas has a chin and in this chin is not a cleft as one would expect to see but rather chasm from which nothing but the harshest of light can escape.

I rather liked this movie. In fact I liked it as much as I liked the first half of Ben-Hur. The two movies are rather similar in context and style. Had Ben-Hur not taken a turn for the worse after the second part it would have given Spartacus more of a run for it's money.

Final Thoughts- Although the lighting, I felt, was a bit harsher than necessary at times (it's the only way it can escape Douglas' chin) the movie itself was nicely done and although a little too well placed still deserves a slot on this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment