SPOILERS BELOW

In order to explain why something is deserving or not deserving of being on this list we will be forced to spoil some parts of the plot, but we will do our best to not spoil anything major without giving warning in the post.

Monday, April 12, 2010

88 Bringing Up Baby

Brief Synopsis (from Netflix)

Love runs wild for a hapless scientist and an unstoppable heiress in Howard Hawks's classic screwball comedy that ranks high on the American Film Institute's list of the funniest Hollywood films ever made. With her eye on paleontologist David (Cary Grant), heiress Susan (Katharine Hepburn) lures him to her home. But the hilarity begins when Susan's dog steals David's prize dinosaur bone and her pet leopard, Baby, is mistaken for a zoo escapee.

Jason


Well, of course, do you think it would roll if it were square

This movie was really tough for me to pay attention to. Not to say that it was boring, it was just not really my type of funny. I'm not sure if it was the lack of a "straight man" or that some of the jokes were a little dated, or maybe its just that I don't like goofball comedies. Whatever it was, it made this movie really tough for me to just sit and watch.

Final Thought- This is my shortest review yet, probably because I don't have much to say about the movie. It obviously doesn't belong on my list, but I can see why other people might put it on theirs.

Alfredo

"He's three years old, gentle as a kitten, and likes dogs." I wonder whether Mark means that he eats dogs or is fond of them?

There were plenty of times during Bringing Up Baby that I laughed. Oddly enough though I was not a fan of this movie. It seemed more like an hour and a half long sit-com episode than a movie. Not to say that it was poorly done mind you, it just so happens that it wasn't my particular cup of tea.

Final Thoughts- Needless to say I don't think this belongs here. It's a goofy movie that's partly fun to watch, but at the end of the day really just not worth the time.

Bryan

"Now it isn't that I don't like you, Susan, because, after all, in moments of quiet, I'm strangely drawn toward you, but - well, there haven't been any quiet moments."

I'm sorry, but not top 100 material. There were moments of decent comedy, but the film as a whole does not stand up, even compared to other comedies of the time. I would argue that Cary Grant himself had a much better, and funnier, performance in Arsenic and Old Lace, 6 years later. I would put that performance on the list, and infact put it well ahed of the 80's. It's not that I am not a fan of the older comedies; it's just that this isn't a prime example. And quite simply, I expect prime examples to be the norm on a list of the greatest films ever. This doesn't measure up.

I did like the use of a leopard as an absurd plot device. That at least was original and different (although in 1938 there weren't quite as many movies, so being original was much easier). Katharine Hepburn portrayed her role well, but it wasn't the most interesting character as scripted. None of the actors were so bland as to be an handicap. Things just never pulled together in a way to make this something special.

Final Though - If you are bored and this is on the classic movie station one night, then by all means watch and enjoy. It is not a movie I would suggest striving to see. It is not one the 100 greatest American movies of all time; not by a long shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment